These are the cookies I brought to the party on the last New Year’s Eve. They are super easy, slightly moist (not crunchy at all!) and smell really good! And you can bake them the day before which saved a lot of time on 31st. You know, the time you need to turn from a desperate housewive into a princess, haha.
(The original recipe in Bulgarian here. and if you are more of a crunch-loving type of person, check out this time-tested recipe for amazing, crunchy, chocolate cookies!)
I doubled everything and… God, there were waaaaay too many cookies. I mean NINE batches of cookies. I didn’t count them, but I’m sure they were a lot more than 100.
Here is what you need to do for a single dose which is supposed to result in somewhere between 3o and 50 cookies.
1. Slightly soften 200 g of butter in the microwave and beat it with 150-200 g of sugar. I used a mixture of white and brown sugar.
2. Add in 2-3 eggs one by one.
3. Add the zest of 2 oranges and the juice of one orange and mix well!
4. Stir in (by hand) 200 g. chocolate chip/chocolate that you have already cut in pieces like this:
I used 300 g. but… (and believe me, I never expected to say this out loud) it was too much and it didn’t allow for the orange zest to fully develop its aroma.
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, followed by 350-400 g. of flour (divided it into portions, don’t put all of it directly!) – again, by hand, until it looks like this:
Now, when you place the cookies on the baking sheet, keep in mind that these are not the typical chocolate chip cookies you would buy in Starbucks. They are not as flat, which means if you make them big, they are going to turn out HUGE. In my opinion, the best approach is to use a teaspoon and to drop little piles like these without caring too much to make them round. The first batch is on the picture below, that’s too big! The perfectly sized cookie of this kind is the one from the first picture. A bite-sized, slightly moist cookie with an orange smell. Yum. (Note to self: I need to try these with lemon zest and white chocolate! OMG. Mouthwatering!)
6. I preheated the oven to 180°C and baked for 15 minutes. I will try to reduce the temperature next time, I would really love them to turn out a little bit lighter in color.
And here you are! Enjoy!